© Rev Martin 2015

St Margaret,

Hilston

‘....a focal point....’

Hilston is a small village, situated near the coast,  approximately 5 miles north of Withernsea, and  comprises of twelve houses, St. Margaret’s church  and Admiral Storr’s Tower, an octagonal brick tower built in 1750 and a well-known local landmark. St. Margaret’s itself has an interesting history. The  first church was a cobble built Anglo-Norman  structure dating from the 12  th  century and was one  of the smallest churches in Holderness measuring  only 57ft. by 18ft. This church was replaced in 1862 by a grander  building in the gothic style, resplendent with  Purbeck marble, alabaster and Minton floor tiles.  The 12  th  century doorway was the only feature  retained from the original church. The second church was almost totally destroyed by a bomb in 1941 with  only a few plaques, some stained glass and,  remarkably, the 12 th  century doorway surviving. The current church, designed by the renowned  architect Francis Johnson, was built in 1956 and  consecrated by the Archbishop of York in 1957. It has a striking east window featuring St. Margaret and  the north window incorporates some of the Victorian stained glass. Today the church draws its support not only from  Hilston but also from the neighbouring village of  Owstwick which is of a similar size and age but  which has retained its farming activities.
Benefice  
Withernsea
1 Church, 7 Locations
Home Withernsea Roos Tunstall Holmpton Hollym Hilston Garton Services Gallery Contact
Our Church Service is held at 3.00 pm on the 3rd Sunday of every month. There is a single Benefice Service every 5th Sunday which is held at a different Benefice church each time.
Hilston